Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Trick or Trunk?

I am a believer in traditions and I also think trying new things is good too. I am having a hard time liking the trunk or treat thing.  I know it's a big hit with a lot of people and I can see the plus side of it. I just can't give up the trick or treating tradition. Some of my favorite memories as a kid are going around with a couple parents and lots of kids from the neighborhood and knocking on doors and saying those magic words and filling up a bag with yummy treats. I want my kids to have that experience and I'm afraid it is going to disappear. I don't have anything against trunk or treating but in my town I don't think it's necessary because  I think it's still a safe place.  In the big cities I am all for it.  I also want my kids to have to work a little to get that much candy, not just walk around the parking lot and then going home. Yes I know you can do both but personally I don't have the money to do both and I would feel greedy.  And if we didn't have candy at our house there would be a lot of kids disappointed because they come to see Mr. D.  I also think Halloween should be about the family, or have the family deciding what everyone is doing. I don't like feeling like a hater because we won't be going to the ward trunk or treat. My family has the tradition of making donuts and trick or treating. I think if the ward wants to do something it should be on a different night (especially this year because it's on a Monday but we won't get into that).  I'm sorry if I have offended anyone that is not my purpose.  I know no one is asking me to give up anything I just wish it didn't have to be such a conflict.

1 comment:

  1. trick or treating is better! however, trunk or treat is nice when you have little tiny kids. I love your family's donut tradition

    ReplyDelete